The City is very proud of the numerous community events that take place here in South Portland, including:
- Run/Walk/Cycle/Swim Events
- Events in Parks
- Neighborhood Block Parties
Residents or local groups planning an event taking place on City property (Parks, Streets, Sidewalks, Waterfront, etc) are required to submit an event application that needs to be completed and returned to the Clerks' office at least 30 days prior to the event date. Additional licenses and permits may be required, depending upon the event. If the event will be hosting food vendors, all food vendors must hold a valid City food license. If a vendor does not hold a City food license, a temporary food vendor license may be requested and issued for the event. A list of food vendors must be submitted to the City Clerk's office by the event organizer no later than 2 weeks prior to an event. Depending upon the nature and/or number of attendees, Police and/or EMS/Fire presence may be required at the expense of the event organizer.
Event applications are reviewed by Code Enforcement, Fire, Parks, Police, Public Works and the Transportation Department. Any event requiring a street closure is required to go before City Council for approval.
Event organizers looking to host an event (or private party, including weddings & birthday parties) in one of the City's Parks or Public Facilities are encouraged to review the Parks & Recreation Public Facilities Use Policy and to communicate with Parks & Recreation first to ensure space is available, prior to submitting an event application (an event application may not be required of private parties occurring on City property unless additional licenses and permits are required.) Insurance is required for events occurring on City property.
The event group, which consists of all the departments listed above, is always willing to meet with any group interested in hosting an event here in South Portland to discuss requirements. Contact the Licensing Administrator if you have questions.
The City of South Portland is committed to keeping our public Parks & facilities clean. Event organizers are encouraged to review the Zero Waste Guidelines and Trash and Recycling guidelines for all events held on City property.
Below is a list of some Events scheduled for 2017. Note that for these events, all food vendors must be licensed and invited to attend by the Event Organizer. Contact the City Clerk's office for more information regarding these events.
• May, 20, 2017: Bug Light Kite Festival, Bug Light Park• May 28, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright Field
• May 29, 2017: Memorial Day Parade, Broadway, 10:30am-12:00pm
• June 3, 2017: Lacrosse Festival, Wainwright
• June 8, 2017: Twilight 5K, SMCC Area, 7:00-9:00pm
• June 10, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright Field
• June 16, 2017: Educational Car-Control Clinic, Maine Mall Parking Lot
• June 18, 2017: Sporting Event, Wainwright
• June 24 & 25, 2017: Battle By The Bay, Wainwright, 8am-6pm
July 4, 2017: Family 4th in the Park - Bug Light Park, 5:30- 10:00pm
• July 4, 2017: Independence Day BBQ & Classic Cars - Bug Light Park
• July 5 - August 9, 2017: Mill Creek Summer Concert Series - Mill Creek Park, 6:30-8:00pm
• July 10, 11 & 12, 2017: SailME Junior Sailing Regatta, Bug Light Park
• July 15, 2017: Porsche Club Of America Car Show, Bug Light Park, 10:00am- 4:00pm
• July (Thursdays): Bug Light Movie Nights - Bug Light Park, 5:30- 10:30pm
• July 22 & 23, 2017, Sports Event (Vacationland), Wainwright Field
• July 23, 2017: Tri for a Cure, Bug Light Park/SMCC Area, 7:30am- 1:30pm
• August 1, 2017: National Night Out, Redbank Community Center
• August Tuesdays & Thursdays, 2017: Portland Ultimate League, Wainwright Field, 6pm-8pm
• August 12, 2017: Art in the Park, Mill Creek Park
• August 12, 2017: Knightville Street Festival, 3:00-9:00pm
• August 12, 2017: Pound the Pavement 5K, Boys & Girls Club
• September 2, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• September 4, 2017: Maine Outdoor Film Festival, Bug Light Park
• September 6, 2017: Bug Light Classic Car Show, 4:30pm- sunset
• September 9, 2017: Strive for 5K, Foden Road
• September 9, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• September 16, 2017: South Portland Maineiacs 5K, Various City Streets
• September 16, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• September 23, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• September 24, 2017: NAMI Maine Walk, SMCC Area, 9:00am-2:00pm
• September 30, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• October 7, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• October 14, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright
• October 21 & 22, 2017: Sports Event (The Lobster Pit), Wainwright
• October 28 & 29, 2017: Sports Event, Wainwright